ORNL Casting and Modeling capabilities include:
Liquid metal processing (casting):
- Two air induction furnaces for melting and casting ferrous and nickel-based alloy
- One resistance furnace for casting aluminum-based materials
- One electron beam melter
- One vacuum arc remelter for casting specialty alloys and refractory-based alloys
- Two arc melters, one for button melting and the other for drop casting
- Small green sand foundry for creating molds for shape casting
- Ex-One machine for three-dimensional sand printing
- Casting and solidification modeling
- Codes: Truchas, Abaqus, and ProCAST
Air induction furnaces: 30-lbs. steel and 150-lbs. steel capacity. Two-liter capacity furnace for aluminum. The vacuum arc remelting (VAR) is 10,000 amperes, 8 in. Ø max. Arc melters have 1-kg capacity for steel.
All equipment with trained staff is currently available. For modeling, ORNL is staffed to handle all three codes.
C. David Warren, Transportation Materials Program Manager, email@example.com, 865-574-9693