White Paper Submission Deadline: May 16, 2019 (5:00 PM EDT)
- DFA#4 CRADA Process
- DFA#4 CRADA Call Topics
- Lightweighting Cost Calculator
- CRADA Annex A Statement of Work
- Download DFA#4 Webinar Video
To accelerate innovation and adoption of new lightweighting technologies for on-highway vehicles, the LightMAT consortium is overseeing a directed funding assistance for interested industry partners to use unique materials capabilities at national laboratories.
Directed Funding Assistance allows industry partners to identify a specific vehicle structure or powertrain component(s) that would directly benefit from an advanced material or manufacturing process to enable significant weight reduction. Interested organizations are encouraged to prioritize and submit white papers addressing only the most pressing research barriers for lightweighting vehicles. Note: (lightweighting power electronics, batteries or packaging is not within scope for this call). Please contact the LightMAT Concierge for clarification or questions.
To apply, industry partners will submit a concept white paper that identifies the technical challenge and capability need that LightMAT can provide. All submissions should be no less than three and no more than 12 pages in length. Required criteria for white paper submissions include:
- Introduction (brief overview of project)
- CRADA Annex A Statement of Work (25% of total score)
- Impact on Vehicle Weight Reduction (35% of total score)
- Appropriateness of Government Funding (15% of total score)
- Opportunity for Market Impact (25% of total score)
Papers will be reviewed and scored by LightMAT with final project approval and funds authorized to the national laboratories by DOE. LightMAT anticipates three to eight funded projects as part of this call. Project terms are limited to no more than two years with up to $500,000 per project.* All projects will be subject to DOE reviews and reporting requests.
- March 7, 2019: LightMAT DFA#4 Announcement
- March 20, 2019 at 12:00PM EDT: Webinar describing LightMAT opportunity (Download DFA#4 Webinar Video)
- May 16, 2019 4:59:59PM EDT: Proposal submission deadline
- June 7, 2019: Final selection decision and notification
- July 22, 2019: Targeted Project Kickoff
*Federal funds allocated to DOE national laboratories for providing LightMAT resources only, subject to available LightMAT budget. Industry cost share ≥ 50 percent.